With the coldest spring in almost 40 years it feels rather strange composing a Spring newsletter at Easter when most of us haven’t yet plucked up the courage to venture out to the shed to pull the lawn mower out for the first mow of the season, indeed the weather has dictated that there has been no need for mowing for the last 4 or 5 months in which has been our first “proper” winter in decades. Let’s hope the Beast from the East is just a bad memory once we get into April and we can start enjoying our lawns again.
Needless to say, our technicians have been struggling through to get those all-important winter moss treatments done. Our ever-faithful customers who had to skip this treatment due to water-logging, frost or snow will still get this treatment when we come to do the spring feed between now and the end of April. Thank you for your patience everyone 😊
First Mow of the Season Tips
- Check the lawn for debris, such as stones, twigs and mole hills.
- Check the oil level of the mower before starting.
- Ensure the mower has a sharp blade.
- Mow on a high setting for the first mow, removing clippings.
Lawn Care tips
- Treat Moss now before it becomes too warm.
- Now is the perfect time to carry out the first spring feed to kick start the lawn into life.
- Gently rake out moss, but avoid heavy scarification as the lawn might not recover before the Summer.
- Sprinkle grass seed on any bare patches to help the lawn fill-in as temperatures rise
- Its still a bit too early to treat lawn weeds until temperatures rise.